Altitude: 410 mt slm
Inhabitants: 820
Hectares of vineyard: 380.42
Hectares of Barbaresco Nebbiolo: 165.23

Name: From the Latin treis, referring to the settlement’s position at the third milestone from Alba Pompeia on the road connecting the Langhe to Liguria.

Preferred residential area in Roman times

The municipality of Treiso became official only in 1957, when a municipal referendum granted it independence from Barbaresco.
From Roman times, the centre of Treiso was linked to the city of Alba. It enjoyed preferred status as a residential area because of its proximity to the city centre and its attractive position higher up in the hills. Its altitude and fresh air were an antidote to both hot summers and humid fog-laden winters. The Barbaresco wine produced here benefits from these same qualities which enrich its bouquet. In the Canta locality the spectacular Rocca dei Sette Fratelli (the Rock of the Seven Brothers) cliff formation is not to be missed.

Counted as one of the most “authentic” places by the writer Beppe Fenoglio

With the passing of time ties to Alba weakened upsetting Treiso’s already delicate position between Alba and Asti. This further undermined the stability of the area, causing uncertainty and confusion. However, Treiso had an ‘ace’ up its sleeve: its healthy atmosphere and the fine air of its hills became increasingly attractive to the citizens of Alba. It was indeed from Treiso in 1617 that Carlo Emanuele II, Duke of Savoy launched his successful attack on Alba. From then on, Treiso’s relationship with Alba declined in favour of Barbaresco. The same Carlo Emanuele II then sold Treiso and Barbaresco to Alba for 500 scudi. Later, Vittorio Amedeo II auctioned off the two villages to the Gallegani brothers of Canelli for five times Alba’s offer. From this moment on, Treiso effectively became part of of the commune of Barbaresco. During the Second World War, Treiso was a centre of the partisan struggle and the lives of many young people were lost to the ideals of the Resistance. For this reason, the village is counted among the most “authentic” places as recounted by Beppe Fenoglio: Treiso has an important role in “Una Questione Privata” (“A Private Matter” in English translation) as the headquarters of of the brigade of Leo whose commanding officer is the novel’s protagonist Milton. The village is also mentioned in “Frammenti di Romanzo” (“Fragments of a Novel “) as well as in “L’ Andata” (“The Departure”) . Tries also appears frequently in “ Il Partigiano Johnny” (“Partisan Johnny”) as the last partisan outpost before Alba. A chapel in Canta is dedicated to fallen partisans adorned with a painting by Piero Simondo who was, along with Pinot Gallizio and Asger Jorn a founding member of the Alba group of imaginist painters. Following a lengthy series of claims to autonomy, Triesa finally acquired status as an independent commune in 1957.

Contact and Maps

Municipality of  Treiso
Piazza Leopoldo Baracco, 1
12050 Treiso (CN)
Tel: +390173.638116
Fax: +390173.638900